Functional Movement Screen
The Functional Movement Screen is an innovative system used to evaluate movement pattern quality.
The screen is comprised of seven fundamental movement patterns that require a balance of mobility and stability and place the individual in extreme positions where weaknesses and imbalances become noticeable.
Anyone may have unique movement imbalances and limitations that can lead to pain and injury if not addressed. The functional movement screen reveals your
weaknesses so that you can begin strengthening them, working out in a gentle but highly targeted and effective way. Based on your screen, your FMS Expertdevelops a customized plan of corrective exercises that meets your needs, continuously tracking and updating your plan as you progress.
- A consistent and reliable testing method that provides a quantitative benchmark.
- Identifies movement limitations and dysfunction.
- Reduces both risk factors for injuries and costs associated with injuries.
- Improves efficiency, durability, and performance in life. A customized corrective exercise program is created from an FMS expert that targets fixing your movement weaknesses.
- Provides an enhanced foundation for exercise and performance programming.
It all starts with an ASSESSMENT.
We believe that your PROGRAM DESIGN is only as good as your ASSESSMENT. During the assessment, we attempt to accomplish the following:
- These may include the following:
- Body Fat Percentage
- Jean sizes
- Circumference measurements (ex. Waist)
- 3 minute step test performance
Start to get personal nutrition information.
Perform a Functional Movement Screen that ranks and grades movement patterns that are key to normal function.
- Functional movement is a critical and necessary component of any successful fitness program.
- This is a critical component for preventing injury and keeping you on track towards your goals.
Provide a written review of their Functional Movement Screen, a customized Corrective Exercise Program that includes pictures and descriptions of the exercises, and a nutritional guidelines document.
The vast majority of fitness training programs are incomplete. TrainSMART creates customized fitness programs that are based on science, proven through application, safe, systematic, progressive, and incorporate integrated functional training.
Literature has identified that the Functional Movement System may reduce the likelihood of injury and improve performance.
A study performed in the NFL found that athletes who scored a 14 or under on the FMS screen had a probability of suffering a time loss injury increased from 15% to over 50%. Logistic regression models indicated that players with an FMS score 14 or under were approximately 11 times more likely to be injured and players with an asymmetry were 3 times more likely to be injured. This study identified how FMS may be used as a tool to detect and predict injury.
(Kiesel, Plisky, and Voight. Can serious injury in professional football be predicted by a preseason functional movement screen? North Americal Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2007. August; 2:3.)
A study using FMS in Fire Services was performed to identify how corrective exercise may improve performance and decrease likelihood of further injury. In this study, 433 fire fighters were taken through the FMS and given an intervention to improve flexibility, strength, and FMS scores through a training program. The interventions reduced time loss due to injury by 62% and the number of injuries by 42% over a 12 month period compared to the historical group.
(Peate et al. Core strength: a new model for injury prediction and prevention. Journal of Occupational medicine and Toxicology. 2007. April 11; 2:3.)